Immigration and Visa Service


Looking to work or relocate in the Philippines?

FilePino offers personalized, professional quality visa preparation and immigration process for expats and foreign nationals looking to work and relocate in the Philippines.

Immigration & Visa Service

If you’re unsure about which type of Visa to get or you simply want to make certain that the application process will go as smoothly and efficiently as possible, you’ve come to the right place. Our Visa and immigration specialists are well versed in the workings of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and are here to ensure that you won’t get tied up in red tape.

Philippine Visa

Most foreign nationals can stay in the Philippines visa-free for 21 days, but those who wish to stay longer are required to apply for an appropriate visa. We will assess your objectives and help ascertain which one will be right for your needs. If you’re not planning on moving permanently to the country, but you plan on engaging in business or working here, there are several non-immigrant visas that you can obtain. Note that the tourist visa (9A), which can be used for some business purposes (meetings, searching for areas of investments, etc.), is not the right one to get if you intend to be gainfully employed or to manage a business here.

Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor Visa (9D)

The Philippines has a treaty trader/investor admission agreement with Germany, Japan, and the United States. This allows for nationals from these countries to enter the country as treaty traders if their purpose is to engage in substantial trade between the Philippines and their particular country; or to develop or direct the operations of an enterprise in which they have invested, or are in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital. This visa can also be obtained by employees of individuals and corporations that meet the abovementioned requirements provided that they have the same nationality as their employer or company’s major shareholder.

Employment Visa (9G)

The pre-arranged employment visa is applied for by the employer for their employee/s and needs to be in place before the latter can start working. The visa is initially valid for 1 year and is extendable to a maximum total of 10 years and foreign nationals who intend to work in a company in the Philippines will also need an Alien Employment Permit (AEP). Those who wish to begin employment before their 9G visa is released need to get a Provisional Permit to Work (PPW) from the BI.

Special Visas

In order to encourage foreign investment in the Philippines, the government has also approved several special visa options for foreign nationals who wish to invest in or retire in the country.

  • Special Investor’s Resident Visa (SIRV) – This allows holders to reside in the Philippines for an indefinite period and grants multiple entry privileges for as long as their investments subsist. The main requirement for the SIRV is an investment of a minimum of US$75,000 in viable economic activities. The Board of Investments (BOI) makes the recommendation for approval to the BI.

  • Special Visa for Employment Generation (SVEG) – Like the SIRV, this visa grants holders with indefinite stay and multiple entry privileges provided that they employ at least 10 Filipinos in a commercial investment or enterprise. This is subject to certification from the DOLE.

  • Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) – As its name implies, this is a visa that former Filipino citizens and foreign nationals who plan on retiring to the Philippines can obtain. Holders have multiple entry privileges, the option to retire here permanently, and several tax and registration requirement exemptions. Applications are filed at the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) and requirements vary according to age, pension status, and other categories.

Alien Employment Permit (AEP)

Apart from a visa, an additional permit is also required for those who plan on working in the Philippines. This is the Alien Employment Permit (AEP), which is issued by the DOLE and is a visa requirement in most cases.

Who Needs One

Most foreign nationals seeking gainful employment in the country are required to apply for an AEP. This includes foreign professionals who are allowed to practice their profession in the country (under reciprocity and international agreements that the Philippines has with their respective country) and holders of the SIRV, SRRV, Treaty Trader Visa, and Special Non-Immigrant Visa if they have an executive, advisory, supervisory, or technical position in any company.

Requirements and Procedure

The documentary requirements include the notarized application form; copy of passport with current visa; the Contract of Employment or the Board Secretary’s Certificate of Election; and copy of Mayor’s Permit and Business Permit. Applications are submitted to the DOLE.

Special Work Permit (SPW)

Foreign temporary workers as well as artists, musicians, performers and professional athletes who will be in the country for a limited period can apply for a Special Work Permit (SPW).


Foreign nationals who belong to the following categories need not apply for an AEP:

  • Resident foreign nationals.

  • Diplomats and foreign government officials.

  • Members of a Governing Board who only have voting rights and don’t occupy any other position.

  • Owners and representatives of foreign principals, whose companies are accredited by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and who are here for a limited period solely to interview Filipino applicants for employment abroad.

  • Visiting, exchange or adjunct professors whose purpose is to teach, present and/or conduct research studies in universities and colleges. Formal agreements and reciprocal exemptions between the universities or colleges in the Philippines and foreign universities or colleges, or between the Philippine government and foreign government, are required.

  • All those granted exemption by special laws from Congress.


Register your Business Now!

Ready to establish your business in the Philippines? Let FilePino guide you through every step, from efficient registration to navigating government agencies hassle-free.

Was this helpful?



New to doing a business in the Philippines or launching a start up company? Avoid the hassle of painful paperwork and register your business fast!

Setting up a company in the Philippines requires you to register your business with government agencies like the BIR, SSS, Philhealth and PagIbig

New to doing a business in the Philippines or launching a start up company? Avoid the hassle of painful paperwork and register your business fast!


FilePino makes it easy for you. We have the most common Philippine business contracts and forms that are available for download.

Share this article

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.