Types of Visas Available in the Philippines


Did you know you can most likely enter the Philippines without a visa? If you are a national from any of the 151 countries listed on the Philippine Bureau of Immigration’s Memorandum Circular No. RADJR-2013-006, you are welcome to the Philippines without a visa, provided:

  • You’re staying for a maximum of 30 days
  • Your passport is valid for at least six more months after the period of your stay in the Philippines
  • You have an outward bound or return ticket to your next destination or country of origin

Explore the various types of visas available in the Philippines on our blog. Click here to learn more.

Extended Stay Visa Guide

If you plan to stay longer than 30 days, whether to visit, work, or invest in the country, you will need to obtain a visa. There are different types of visas needed for specific purposes, including the following:

Temporary visitor’s visa for tourism or business

Allows you to stay longer than 30 days. This may be extended provided you apply for an Extension of Stay before the visa expires.

Special non-immigrant visa

This is given to foreign nationals who are coming to the Philippines for pre-arranged employment or under the sponsorship of a qualified institution. It is also granted for business purposes, for transit, or study visits.

Non-quota immigrant visa

This applies to spouses or children (below 21 years old) of Filipino nationals, as well as to returning natural-born Filipinos who have acquired a different citizenship.

Quota immigrant visa

Limited to only 50 visas a year, this is granted to foreign nationals who have enough financial capital and have extraordinary skills or qualifications that can benefit the country.

Special Resident Retiree’s visa

This is given to anyone who wishes to live permanently in the Philippines with multiple entry privileges. The applicant must meet the requirement on minimum deposit investments.

Special Investor’s Resident Visa

This is granted to a foreign national who invests at least US75,000 in qualified economic activities. The visa allows an indefinite stay in the country as long the investment requirements are fulfilled.

Student visa

Granted to a foreign national who has received a Notice of Acceptance from a Philippine Higher Education Institution qualified to admit foreign students.

Treaty Trader Visa or 9(D) Visa

This is given to a citizen of the United States, Germany, or Japan who plans to invest or work in a company that has invested a minimum of US$120,000 and corresponding business volume in the Philippines.

Employment or 9(G) Visa

This is granted to foreign nationals who have been tapped to work for a Philippine-based company. The employer must petition for the employee’s visa. This is typically given to foreign nationals with skills and qualifications that are not easily found in the Philippines. It has an initial validity of one to three years and may be extended for a maximum of 10 years.

For detailed information on Immigration Services & Work Permits, click here.

Holders of a 9(G) visa must also have one or more of the following working permits:


1. Alien Employment Permit

  • for employment period exceeding six months

2. Special work permit

  • for employment period below six months

3. Provisional permit to work 

  • needed pending the approval of the 9(G) visa

How can we help?

Filepino, being a one-stop shop, can assist you with your business operation from start, during its season, and up to its end. We’ve offered expert consulting services to both individuals and businesses, helping them to achieve their strategic business goals effectively.

To arrange a initial consultation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us through the following: 


Register your Business Now!

Ready to establish your business in the Philippines? Let FilePino guide you through every step, from efficient registration to navigating government agencies hassle-free.

Was this helpful?



New to doing a business in the Philippines or launching a start up company? Avoid the hassle of painful paperwork and register your business fast!

Setting up a company in the Philippines requires you to register your business with government agencies like the BIR, SSS, Philhealth and PagIbig

New to doing a business in the Philippines or launching a start up company? Avoid the hassle of painful paperwork and register your business fast!


FilePino makes it easy for you. We have the most common Philippine business contracts and forms that are available for download.

Share this article

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.