How to get a Provisional Work Permit

How to get a Provisional Work Permit

Issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI), a Provisional Work Permit (PWP) allows foreign nationals to commence working in local establishments while their pre-arranged employment visa (9g) or Alien Employment Permit (AEP) are still pending.

If the nature of your work in the Philippines requires you to start working before you receive your visa or AEP, then you’ll need to apply for a Provisional Work Permit.

Your PWP authorizes you to start working while waiting for your papers to finish processing.

A PWP is valid for 3 months or until your visa has been approved, whichever comes sooner. It’s also extendable for longer periods of time as long as you can prove that you do have an application and that it is still processing.

  1. Duly accomplished Provisional Work Permit checklist(BI FORM P-004-Rev 1)

  2. Duly accomplished Consolidated General Application Form or (CGAF) For Non-Immigrant Visa, Special Work Permit, and Provisional Work Permit(BI FORM CGAF-002-REV 3)

  3. Duly accomplished CGAF for Information on Applicant’s Child(ren)(BI FORM 2014-00-005 Rev 0)

  4. A copy of your employment contract, which should include details about your compensation

  5. A letter of request from the company you will be working for, which includes the company’s pledge to withhold the taxes due on your income and to remit these to the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)

  6. A copy of your passport that shows the bio page as well as the fact that you are authorized to stay for a minimum of 20 days

  7. Copies of the company’s SEC registration, by-laws and articles of incorporation. Or, if it’s a single proprietorship, a copy of the Certificate of Registration of Business Name from the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)

  8. A copy of the AEP; or if it’s still being processed, a copy of the official receipt for application for the AEP

  9. Proof that you have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)

Application procedure
  1. Get the latest CGAF from BI’s website or the Public Information and Assistance Unit (PIAU) at the BI main office.

  2. Submit your duly accomplished documents for pre-screening. If you’re in the main office, submit to the Central Receiving Unit (CRU). If you’re in one of the authorized district and satellite offices, submit to the frontline officer or staff.

  3. Receive your order of payment slip (OPS).

  4. Pay the required fees.

  5. Submit copy of official receipt.

  6. Get your approved PWP in 3-5 days.

Where to apply

You can apply for a Provisional Work Permit at numerous Bureau of Immigration offices throughout the Philippines.

The Bureau of Immigration main office is located at Magallanes Dr., Intramuros, Manila.

Find more BI office locations near you here.

Application cost

According to the official website of the Bureau of Immigration, this is the breakdown of the total cost of getting a Provisional Work Permit:

Application Fees 2,000.00
Certification Fees 500.00
Legal Research Fee 20.00
Service Fee 100.00
PWP Fee 400.00
Legal Research Fee 20.00
Express Lane Fee (Certification) 500.00
Express Lane Fee (Filing) 500.00
Total PhP175,862.07

All fees are up-to-date as of March 2014 though these can change without prior notice.

Head to BI’s official website at www.immigration.gov.ph to see the latest official updates and advisories concerning visas, services, resources, and more.