Applying for a 47(a)(2) or “PEZA” visa

Applying for a 47(a)(2) or “PEZA” visa

Issued by the Department of Justice (DOJ), a 47(a)(2) visa or special non-immigrant visa – also known as a PEZA visa – is one whose creation is allowed under Section 47(a)(2) of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, as amended.

This type of visa is issued to non-immigrant foreign nationals who are coming to the Philippines temporarily as the following:

  • Employees of companies registered with the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA), the Bureau of Investment (BOI) or the Authority of the Freeport Area of Bataan (AFAB).

  • Foreign professors, researchers, scholars, trainees, fellows, and students under sponsorship from locally or internationally accredited organizations focused on cultural, charitable, relief, and scientific projects.

  • Volunteers registered with the Philippine national Volunteer Service Coordinating Agency (PNVSCA) providing relief in times of emergencies and natural disasters.

  • Dependents travelling with any of the aforementioned types of visiting workers.

  • Applicants approved by the President or his/her Department eligible for a 47a2 visa in accordance with the provisions stated in CA No. 613, as amended

47(a) (2) visas are specific to the applicant’s company. Therefore, it will require sponsorship from your employer.

It’s also coterminous with your contract, meaning the visa can be revoked with the end of your contract or term of office in the Philippines.

Application procedure

You and your organization can apply from abroad. The application procedure typically goes as follows:

  1. Your organization must first register with the appropriate Philippine government agency.

  2. You or the representatives of your organization will reach out to the Philippine government agency your organization is registered with and communicate your 47(a) (2) visa request.

You can find the contact info through their official websites:

  • Board of Investments (BOI)

Official website: investphilippines.gov.ph

  • Department of Agriculture (DOA)

Official website: www.da.gov.ph

  • Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA)

Official website: www.peza.gov.ph

  • Philippine National Volunteer Service Coordinating Agency (PNVSCA)

Official website: www.pnvsca.gov.ph

  1. Next, the government agency will then request clearance and authority to issue the 47(a) (2) special non-immigrant visa from the DOJ.

  2. Upon approval of your request, the DOJ will authorize the Philippine embassy or consulate in your city/country to accept and process your visa application.

  3. You will then send your required documents to the designated Philippine embassy/consulate for processing.

  4. Once approved, you will receive your 47(a) (2) visa.

General requirements

These are the typical requirements you should prepare.

a.) Valid passport (including for any dependents traveling with you)

* Re-entry permits to the port of embarkation or country of origin in case it is required by the Department of Justice.

(Must include originals and photocopies of the pertinent files as may be required)

b.) Marriage contract of dependent spouse

c.) Birth certificate(s) of dependent child(ren)

d.) Affidavit of support including a guarantee of return fare from either you or your sponsor (if your spouse or dependent/s is included in the application.)

Required documents by government agency:

  • Board of Investments – BOI

  1. Résumé and bio-data

  2. BOI application form

  3. Duly signed undertaking in the form of Board of Resolution

  4. Understudy Information Sheet, Designation of Understudy, and Understudy Training Program (if applicable)

  5. Authentic passport and valid visa

  6. Secretary’s Certificate authorizing the Special Non-immigrant Visa – for elective officers

  7. An Affidavit of Support from your BOI-registered company.

  8. Organization chart of your company

  • Philippine Economic Zone Authority – PEZA

  1. Résumé and bio-data

  2. A letter of request on behalf of the PEZA company

  3. Authentic passport and valid visa

  4. Secretary’s Certificate authorizing the Special Non-immigrant Visa (for elective officers)

  5. Current service contract

  • Department of Justice – DOJ

  1. Duly accomplished and notarized Department of Justice (DOJ) General Application Form and Checklist

  2. Certificate of BOI/PEZA Registration, with terms and conditions included

  3. Authentic passport and valid visa

  4. Secretary’s Certificate authorizing the Special Non-immigrant Visa (for elective officers)

  5. Affidavit of support from the PEZA/BOI-registered company

  • Philippine National Volunteer Service Coordinating Agency (PNVSCA)

  1. Accomplished (Non-Immigrant) Visa Application Form

  2. Original passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond the intended period of stay in the Philippines

  3. One passport-size photo

  4. Self-addressed stamped envelope if applying by mail.