Change of business address (Part 3): Registering the change with the BIR

Change of business address (Part 3): Registering the change with the BIR

Changing your business address is not as simple as it may seem.  The process is lengthy and could take a few months to complete. Please check out the first two parts of our guide detailing the first steps you need to take to change your business address.


Part 1: How to close your old business address [link to part 1] at your old location

Part 2: How to register the business again [link to part 2] at the new location.


Once you’ve completed the processes outlined in Parts 1 and 2, the only thing that remains to be done is to register your business at the local Bureau of Internal Revenue office of your new location.

The BIR operates through Revenue District Offices (RDO) where local businesses are registered. When you transfer to a new location, you will fall under the jurisdiction of a different RDO. As such, the final step in changing your business address would be to update your records with the BIR.

Before you can get the Certificate of Registration at your new RDO, you have to make a Request for Transfer at your old RDO. Your former RDO will then check to make sure you have no open case liabilities, which include documents or tax returns that their system has marked as missing. Furnish your old RDO with the necessary documents to comply with any open case.


Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting a new Certificate of Registration with the BIR:

  1. Acquire a BIR Form 1905, the Application for Registration Information Update, at the Revenue District Office (RDO) where you registered your business. You may also access the form online.

  2. Prepare the following documents:

  • Proof of Application for Mayor’s Permit for your new business address. Make sure you have already completed the steps to apply for permits. [link to Part 2 of this series]

  • For single ownership, you need to supply the following:

  • An amended Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Registration for single ownership or Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Certificate.

  • An Original Certificate of Registration

  • The Copy of Contract of Lease of your new business location.

  • For a corporation or partnership, you would need the following:

  • A board resolution asking for an additional line of business.

  • The certified true copy of the amended articles of incorporation

  • An amended SEC Registration or a DTI Certificate

  • Your Original Certificate of Registration (OCR)

  • A Copy of Contract of Lease for the new business location.


  1. Submit your application and the required documents to the local BIR office.

Once you have submitted everything, the BIR office will process the transfer. All you have to do now is to wait for the transfer to be completed. Once you get your new Certificate of Registration, you can apply for new receipts, or make an appeal to use your old receipts at your new location.

It may have been a long, arduous process, but you are finally ready to move on to the next chapter of your business.


You can also call FilePino for more information about the legal procedures for Philippine businesses. Contact us at +1.806.553.6552 in the US and +63.917.8922337 in the Philippines.